Monday, February 7, 2011

Not so bad!

This weekend was very busy for us. My parents went to Florida again and I watched their dogs. My sister was staying with us as well so we had a full house!

Not sure how I found time to do a few crafty things that I've seen online, but we made it work.

I made this 'thing' (not sure what to call it) and it didn't quite turn out how I wanted, BUT not bad for my first time...

I'll start from the beginning. I went to my sister-in-laws paint shop and got some mis-tinted paint for next to NOTHING as well as a few one of every paint chip sample . Then I headed to Lowe's where I did the same thing with the paint chip samples (my sister was with me and she was MORE than embarrassed!), while we were there we picked up a couple pieces of plywood. I already had the other supplies that were needed (Mod Podge, Spray Adhesive, paint brushes ect.)

So! I started by painting the edges of the plywood dark brown. Then I cut the samples into 3inch squares and picked the colors that I wanted to use. I started glueing them on the board (I randomly started in the middle of the wood because I thought it would be fun to work my way out and cut the squares on the perimeter to fit. Bad idea). By the time I got to the perimeter, it was late and I was tired. So I skipped the part where I was going to cut them to fit.


And decided to paint it brown and pretend it was supposed to have a 'border'. Whatever. It was late.




After that, I threw some Mod Podge on it (which I thought would be the easiest part) and I guess it was too thick because it didn't dry correctly and some of the squares started to come up and bubble! I was getting upset so I went to bed. Next step was to put another coat on. So I did. I decided to dab it with a rag to get the 'textured look' that I thought would look better. Surprisingly it did!
The finished product!

I guess this was more of a practice one so I can't be THAT upset. It's kinda cute. I will use it in the baby's room or if we ever get the 'play room' going, I'll use it in there. 

Time for Adelyn's nap! I'll post tomorrow...maybe.

1 comment:

  1. I like it! Good job! You could add wood trim to it so it looks like a frame, if you don't like the brown paint. Make Justin miter the corners for you.

    ReplyDelete